Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Easter!

Easter was a dreary affair this year, so we don't have any grassy Easter-y pictures of the dress. I kept it a little simple this year with a dress in some Japanese lawn from my stash. The fabric's sheerness did nothing for the print, so I paired it with some soft yellow shirting to enrich the color.  
 The facings and construction of this dress made lining it seem a little complicated, so I underlined the entire dress in the yellow shirting, which gave it a hand similar to double gauze. I used French seams throughout and clipped carefully at the inside corners. The facings are in the dress fabric edged with a little strip of ivory voile bias. It's as lovely on the inside as the out, so I can't imagine why I didn't snap a picture of the inside. I used simple shell buttons down the back.
The Birthday Party dress is actually a perfect Easter dress. It's generally chillier than you'd like and you have to cover the pretty dress with a sweater, which stinks if you have a nice bow in the back. But the Birtday Party dress has all the lovely details in the front, visible even under a little sweater.
We even found a matching ribbon in the stash.

The gloomy weather did nothing to quell the children's spirits, though, and they even managed to have a super quick egg hunt before the rain really came down. Thank you, Easter Bunny!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely dress!
    It's one of my favorite Oliver+S dress patterns and I also love to use french seams (neat insides are my weakness).
    Love the floral print you picked and the red shoes are truly a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came looking for your dress sewing but found this little sweety instead!

    ReplyDelete