Sunday, March 4, 2012

Playdate reveal

Recently, I shared the details of how to finish the yoke, but I never gave you the full reveal. I hoped to show you how adorable the Playdate dress looks on a toddler. It looks as if it will be a while before I can get some modeled shots of Miss K's spring wardrobe. 16 months is a fun, happy little age - but it isn't a cooperative one! She is constantly on the move, climbing, jumping, squirming and running off in the other direction with a gleeful giggle. So, for now you'll have to settle for hanger shots.

 Since I've made this a few times in the past year, I was growing tired of the buttons and ruffles. When Clever Charlotte prediced bows for this season, I had an aha moment. I made the bow from a bias tube and stitched it to the front of the yoke by hand. After wearing, however, it tends to flop, so I think I may have to stitch it down more.

 The sleeve pleats are one of my favorite details of this pattern. I chose a tiny bias finish here to balance the flat piping under the yoke.

 Even though the hem facing and yoke facing aren't highly visible, I really love the little bits of floral peeking out. It's fun to have secret details like that.

This is poplin from Robert Kaufmann and the floral is a very fine cotton lawn by Lecien. The poplin rumples a little in wear, which helps it keep it casual.
I cut this dress to a tunic length for optimum toddler mobility.  I also skipped the pockets. We just don't need them yet. For now, we mostly pair it with dark blue leggings, but I see this with bloomer shorts when the weather gets warmer. I'm also planning some skinny pants in colors to match her spring wardrobe. Before I can move on the pants, though, I need to get moving on two items I pledged to our quickly approaching auction!

3 comments:

  1. This is so lovely!! Perfect for spring, I love the print detail with the light pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl can never have too many bows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sharon! Nicole, it's true. Maybe she needs some matching hairbows.

    ReplyDelete